Dr. Sunil Bhat is Senior Consultant in Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation service at Mazumdar-Shaw Cancer Center of Narayana Hrudayalaya Health City. His primary interest is in Blood and Marrow Transplantation in children including the newer techniques like Haplo-identical Transplants using alpha-beta TCR depletion techniques, for which he has the largest Asian experience. He has an experience of more than 1000 transplants in children. He has over 60 publications and many book chapters to his credit. He has been a pioneer in writing up brain tumor management guidelines for Indian children and newer techniques of bone marrow transplants in children. His primary research interests are; graft vs host disease after BMT, virus specific T-Cell therapy and infections post BMT. He has been instrumental in bringing newer bone marrow transplant techniques to India including the half-matched (haplo-identical ) transplants.
Posts Held in the past
- March 2007 to March 2008: Registrar in Hemato-Oncology and Thalassemia Unit, Department of Pediatrics, at UCMS & GTB Hospital, Delhi.
- March 2008 to Oct 2009: Fellowship in Pediatric Hemato-oncology & BMT at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, N.Delhi.
- Oct 2009 to Jan 2011: Fellow in Pediatric Oncology & BMT at Childrens hospital at Westmead.
- Jan 2011 till date: Currently working as a Senior Fellow in Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at The Children's Hospital at Westmead, NSW, Australia.
- MBBS: Govt. Medical College, Jammu (2002).
- MD (Paediatrics): Govt. Medical College, Jammu (2006).
- Fellowship (Paediatric Haematology-Oncology and BMT): Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Delhi (2009).
- Fellowship (Paediatric Oncology): Australia.
- Advanced Fellowship (Paediatric Blood and Marrow Transplantation): Australia.
Fields of Expertise
- He has an experience of more than 1000* transplants in children.
- He has over 60 publications and many book chapters to his credit.
- He has been a pioneer in writing up brain tumor management guidelines for Indian children and newer techniques of bone marrow transplants in children.
- His primary research interests are; graft vs host disease after BMT, virus specific T-Cell therapy and infections post BMT.
Key Procedures Performed
- Bone Marrow & Cord Blood Transplant in Children.
- Haploidentical Bone Marrow Transplant.
Rare / Unique Skills
- Highest number of BMT in India.
- Expert in Haplo Transplant.
Awards & Recognition
- 2018: “Rising Star – Paediatric Oncologist” - Times Health Care Achievers Award - 2018.
- 2018: “Best Bone Marrow Transplant Specialist of the Year”- Iconic Achievers Awards 2018.
- 2017: “Health Care Personality of the Year- Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and BMT”- International Health Care Summit and Awards 2017.
- 2017: “Leading Health Care Professional of the Year”– Leadership Summit 2018.
- 2009: Gold Medal for standing First in All India Pediatric Hematology- Oncology Fellowship Exit Exam.
- 2001: Gold Medal by the Govt. Medical College, Jammu.
- 2000: University Gold Medal, by the Jammu University (for Ist position in MBBS).
- 2000: Dr Nanak Chand Gold Medal 2000, bestowed by the President of India, His Excellency Abdul Kalam in the convocation of the University of Jammu.
- 1996-2001: Awarded the Best Medical Graduate Award, University of Jammu
Professional Memberships& Certifications
- Chair: Stem Cell Transplant Working Group InPOG, PHO chapter of Indian Academy of Pediatrics.
- Secretary: Karnataka Pediatric Hematology Oncology Society.
- Editor: International Journal of Medical Pediatrics and Oncology.
- Blood and Marrow Transplantation in children.
- Haplo-identical Transplants using alpha-beta TCR depletion techniques.