Prof. Mohamed Rela is a pioneer in Liver Transplantation with over 28 years of experience. He has performed more than 4500 liver transplantation in India and abroad. He is also a Professor of Liver Transplantation Surgery at Kings College Hospital, London. With a strong intent to save more lives, he is instrumental in opening India’s exclusive, largest Liver Institute in Chennai, India.
Saving lives has always been his priority … but on journey of saving lives, he has added Guinness World Records to his repertoire of records. Something others can just claim.
Prof. Mohamed Rela is a pioneer in liver transplantation with over 28 years of experience. He started the "Institute of Liver disease and transplantation" at Global Gleneagles health city in 2009. It has quickly become the largest liver transplant program in India.
Prof. Mohamed Rela has moved from Global Gleneagles group of hospitals and started “Dr. Rela Institute & Medical Centre“. His vision is to address health care issues of local population with facilities of International standards also provide cost effective high end treatments like Multi-Organ Transplantation.
- Chairman & Managing Director, Dr. Rela Institute & Medical Centre, Chennai
- Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation, Institute of Liver Disease King’s College Hospital NHS Trust, London
- Course Director, Post MCh Fellowship in Liver Transplantation, The Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University
- President-Elect 2021 for the International Liver Transplant Society
- Executive Council Member, Living Donor Liver Transplantation – Study Group
- Prof. Mohamed Rela is one of the most accomplished surgeons in the world in this field with over 400 scientific articles and papers on liver transplantation, complex hepatobiliary pancreatic surgery and more.
- Prof. Mohamed Rela has performed over 4000 liver transplant surgeries.
- In December 1997, a team led by him performed a successful liver transplantation on a five-day-old girl, which made him an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records in 2000. The girl is now 20 years old studying law.
- He has pioneered the technique of split liver transplantation where one cadaver liver is split into two and transplanted into two individuals.
- He is also one of the most Innovative Paediatric Surgeons alive as per an article published by “Top Master’s in Healthcare Administration”.
Honors & Awards:
- Panchanna Chaterjee Oration and Gold Medal: Association of Surgeons of India. December, 1996
- Senior Lecturer: King’s College, University of London, 2001
- Recognised Teacher status and PhD Supervisor: University of London, 2001
- Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation: King’s College, University of London, 2005
- Scroll of Honour and Medal: Jawaharlal Institute of Post graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, 2009
- Dr Madhanagopal Oration and Medal: Madras Medical College, 2010
- Scroll of Honour: The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, 2012
Affiliations And Memberships:
- BMA: British Medical Association
- RSM: Royal Society of Medicine
- BTS: British Transplantation Society
- ILTS: International liver transplant society
- AUGIS: Association of Upper GI surgeons of Great Britain
- ESOT: European Society of Organ Transplantation
- BASL: British Association of Study of the Liver
- IHPBA: International Hepato-Pancreato Biliary Association
- APASL: The Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver
- AST: American Society of Transplantation