- Dr. Vikas Jain is an alumnus of Kasturba Medical College, Manipal. He received his urological and renal Transplant training from prestigious Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad (Gujarat). He further received training in deceased donor renal transplant at Fundacio Puigvert, Barcelona (Spain). He has an extremely good academic record, with various awards and accolades to his credit, the most prestigious being Prof C K P Menon Best Paper Award for the year 2010 and European Association Urology Scholarship to visit Spain for training in deceased donor renal transplant.
- He was previously working as Consultant at Fortis Hospital, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi. After working for two years at Fortis and having gained experience of close to 500 renal transplants, he started Urology and Renal Transplant Services at the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (ILBS), New Delhi. He independently started this First (and still the only) Renal Transplant and Urology department in a Delhi Government hospital. Under his dynamic leadership, the department became a recognized “center of excellence” for minimally invasive urology and renal transplant in a short span of 5 years.
- He is an advanced laparoscopic urologist and has been popularizing “Laparoscopic donor nephrectomy (LDN)” i.e. removal of kidney from donor through “keyhole” amongst patients and fellow transplant surgeons.
- He is a reviewer to Indian J Urol. It is the official journal of Urological Society of India (USI).
- 157 Renal transplant at ILBS, with 100% results.
- Retrieved both the kidneys from a 16-month old (Youngest) brain-dead donor and transplanted in an adult. This is the “first” and only case of its kind in India.
- Retrieved both the kidneys from a non-heart beating donor (NHBD) and successfully transplanted in two patients. The first NHBD in Delhi/NCR.
- Did 4 back-to-back transplants in 36 hours (two living donor swap and two deceased donor).
Affiliations (Professional Memberships) & Certifications
- International Member: American Urological Association
- Corresponding Member: European Association of Urology
- Full Member: Urological Society of India
- Member: North Zone Chapter of USI/ Delhi Urological Society
- Member: Indian Society of Organ Transplantation
- Member: American Society of Transplant
- Member: Société Internationale d'Urologie
Awards and Accolades
- First in Biochemistry at the First MBBS university exam held in Feb-March 1996
- Recipient of award endowed by the All India Conference of ACBI, Manipal, for securing the highest marks in Biochemistry in the Feb-March 1996.
- Surgical Society of Mysore, PG Best Paper Award for the paper entitled- Postnatal management and outcome of antenatal hydronephrosis due to pelvi-ureteric junction obstruction, presented at 22nd Annual Conference of KSC-ASICON at Bangalore in Feb. 2004.
- 2nd Best Paper Award in its category for Video presentation titled “Laparoscopic pyeloplasty: How we do it! at the 18th West Zone USICON held at Sholapur, Maharashtra, between 13th and 16th November 2008.
- Recipient of USI-EAU Travelling Fellowship to attend European Urology Resident Education Program (EUREP)-2009 at Prague between 28th August and 2nd September 2009.
- Won the First Prize in MCQ examination conducted at the USI-AUA Instructional Course-Mock examination and Annual Review Course conducted jointly by USI and AUA at Mumbai on 28th and 30th September 2009.
- Prof CKP Menon Best Paper Award: Tadalafil monotherapy is as efficacious as Tamsulosin in patients with LUTS secondary to BPH: results of first head-on comparative, prospective, randomized study to evaluate the efficacy of Tadalafil and Tamsulosin, in patients with LUTS secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia at the USICON 2010.
- 2nd Prize Vijayawada Prize Poster category: Donor gonadal vein reconstruction for extension of the transected renal vessels in living renal transplantation at the USICON 2010.
- First Indian to have been awarded the scholarship by European Association of Urology (EUSP), to visit Fundacio Puigvert, Barcelona, Spain for “ Short-Term-Visit”.
- DUSCON Achiever’s Award for the year 2015, by Delhi Urology Society. This award was given on 20th November 2015 at the Annual DUSCON Meet held at PGIMER and Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi.
- Scholarship from European Foundation of Urology (EFU) to participate in Semi-Live 2017, organized by the Department of Urology of the University Hospital of Heidelberg (Germany) between 16th & 18th February 2017.